The holiday season is just around the corner now so whatever your travel plans are, sunscreen is an absolute MUST. We've tested tubes after tubes of sunscreen from expensive $100 sunscreens to $3 ones – here are our top 5.
1. La Roche Posay Anthelios XL SPF 50+ Extreme Fluid (AUD$25.95) This sunscreen contains Mexoplex – the next generation filtering system for re-enforced UVA protection. It offers very high broad spectrum, photostable UVA/UVB protection. It has soothing antioxidants, is fragrance and paraben free. Perfect for all skin types including acne. What's great is that it has been certified by the Australian Therapeutic Goods Association as compliant with its stringent UVB and UVA efficacy criteria. Australia, positioned under the hole in the Ozone layer, is exposed to the harshest UVA/UVB rays thus sunscreens passed by the Australian TGA is indeed something to brag about. We chose this sunscreen as the best all-rounder because of the price point, ingredient list and innovation. It's a runny sunscreen, not like the traditional creamy sunscreens but rest assured, it's still giving you the desired protection!
Best Mineral/Physical Blocker
2. ColoreScience Sunforgettable Mineral Sunscreen Brush SPF 50 (AUD$75) This powder sunscreen comes in 4 shades – Clear/Fair/Medium/Tan. It contains a high dose of physical blocker (24% Micronized Zinc Oxide and 24% Titanium Dioxide). The self-dispensing brush is a good addition because it's very easy to use, travel friendly and can be refilled. Its formula is non-irritating, water-resistant and very light-weight with the added benefits of Red Seaweed Extract to help firm and balance the skin. This is slightly on the expensive side for sunscreen, but is one of the best mineral blockers we've used. We like to use it as a finishing touch over our makeup to make sure our faces, neck and chest are completely protected!
Best For Dry/Normal skin
3. SkinCeuticals Ultimate UV Defense SPF 30+ (AUD$65) This is a moisturizing sunscreen that is perfect for using under your makeup. The problem we find with most sunscreens that offer broad spectrum protection and contain physical blockers such as Zinc, is that they leave a white residue on the skin. This sunscreen contains 7% transparent zinc oxide that does not leave any white film on the skin. It is creamy in texture, is oil free, PABA-free and fragrance free. For those with acne or oily skin, this may not be the product for you as it is quite hydrating.
Best Outdoor Activity For Face And Body
4. Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion for Face and Body SPF 50+ (AUD$55) This is a very solid product that we keep going back to. It contains Super Veil 360 – a new technology that allows sunscreen to cover uneven surfaces of the skin so it provides high protection at all angles. It also contains Profense CEL, a new ingredient that protects the inner layers of the skin from UVA/UVB. It is water resistant up to 80 minutes, perspiration resistant and sand proof making it perfect for the beach or sport activity. Great product for travelling!
5. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 45 – 100+ (AUD$13 +) The Ultra Sheer Dry Touch sunscreen range from Neutrogena is a great budget sunscreen incorporating innovative technology such as Helioplex. Helioplex is a stabilized form of sun protection that provides longer and more even protection to the UVA rays that penetrate to the cellular level. The Dry Touch technology leaves a semi-matte finish on the face. This sunscreen is light-weight, water resistant to 80 mins, oil-free and PABA free.